Medals: 1
Vehicle Make & Model: Toyota FJ Cruiser
Toyota LC VXR
Disclaimer: Agreed and Signed.
Nickname: AJ
Number of drives: 999

Re: Visit Oman – 2/2013

Post by Ajay » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:03 am

leo.austrian wrote: Any more info available for obtaining the visa from the consulate. Like the location or their timings etc.
What is the expected return into DXB ?
Cheers,
Leo
Hi Leo

the Oman Consulate is in the diplomatic area and is very close to main road from Burjuman to Makhtoum bridge. you can check up the timings and formalities by calling them at 04-3971000. you can also refer to the link http://www.consulate-dubai.com/oman.html.

regarding expected return to Dubai, the way this trip is conceived, you should be able to return back to Dubai by 10pm on Friday.

Taking visa at the consulate will be advisable since long queues are usually seen at the border visa counters during the long weekends.
ajay
Leave only your tyre marks in the wild. Bring all other rubbish back with you.......

razik

Post by razik » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:03 am

Updated list of participants as follows...

1. Ajay Sikri
2. Ahmad Pervez
3. Arun D Souza
4. Firoz TV
5. Razik Rizwan
6. Saif Khan
7. Manda Reddy
8. Leonard Fernandes
9. Avinash Reddy
10. Rajesh

:)

leo.austrian
Captain
Captain
Vehicle Make & Model: Toyota Fortuner 2012/ 2.7 L
Nickname: Leo
Number of drives: 16

Post by leo.austrian » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:10 pm

razik wrote:Updated list of participants as follows...

1. Ajay Sikri
2. Ahmad Pervez
3. Arun D Souza
4. Firoz TV
5. Razik Rizwan
6. Saif Khan
7. Manda Reddy
8. Leonard Fernandes
9. Avinash Reddy
10. Rajesh

Hi All,
Looks like a good no already, Can we have some more details about the agenda in order to plan food/ water for the journey.

Lunch - Time and place / Can we BBQ or do we pack for the 1st day
Fuelling stops, since Fuel is cheaper in Oman.
I am planning to get the visa at the Border itself. Will there be a problem. I have carried a copy of the Car Insurance with Oman cover. Do we also need our Passport copies Pictures Etc.

** Sorry lots of questions.

Cheers,
Leo

razik

Post by razik » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:37 pm

leo.austrian wrote:
razik wrote:Updated list of participants as follows...

1. Ajay Sikri
2. Ahmad Pervez
3. Arun D Souza
4. Firoz TV
5. Razik Rizwan
6. Saif Khan
7. Manda Reddy
8. Leonard Fernandes
9. Avinash Reddy
10. Rajesh

Hi All,
Looks like a good no already, Can we have some more details about the agenda in order to plan food/ water for the journey.

Lunch - Time and place / Can we BBQ or do we pack for the 1st day
Fuelling stops, since Fuel is cheaper in Oman.
I am planning to get the visa at the Border itself. Will there be a problem. I have carried a copy of the Car Insurance with Oman cover. Do we also need our Passport copies Pictures Etc.

** Sorry lots of questions.

Cheers,
Leo
Leo,

I will attempt to answer couple of your queries:
1. There are 2 fuel stations that sell Omani gas before you actually drive into the country. One (Al Maha) after the Hatta fort hotel r/a & the other (shell) after UAE border/immigration point at the Omani customs check point. Distance between these 2 filling stations is roughly 15kms. First station after entering the country is approx 25kms after Omani immigration point.
2. To obtain visa on arrival you need your passport(s), car registration & insurance. Please check "visa on arrival eligibility" before hand to avoid disppointment. This is usually based on the traveller's residency status/designation on the visa. I'm referring to south asian country passport bearers only!

Hope this helps :)

Ahmad Pervez

Marshal
General - Club Founder
General - Club Founder
Vehicle Make & Model: Toyota FJ Cruiser 2008
Nickname: Ahmad
Number of drives: 735

Post by Ahmad Pervez » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:51 pm

That's right Razik,
We will need passports with valid residence Visa for self and All Our passengers as well as the original car registration along with proof of Omani car insurance. We will need to get OMANI visas at the border and they will want to see that you have Omani insurance before they will let you across.
Insurance can be paid for at the border, if required.

Cost:
UAE exit stamp: 35AED, Oman visa: 50AED.
"No, it is not the goal but the way there that matters, and the harder the way the more worth while the journey." -Wilfred Thesiger

Ahmad Pervez
050 6534953

razik

Post by razik » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:31 pm

Ahmad Pervez wrote:
Cost:
Small clarification on the exit stamp fees bit...I believe this is applicable only while exiting from Buraimi & Mezyad borders & not at Hatta? Unless the rules have changed for uniformity lately :-?
Any which case it will be wise to carry additional 35 bucks per passport :D
Please note that only cash is accepted & don't expect a receipt in return :D
Make sure both your passport & UAE residency are valid for not less than 3 months. Mine is not, i'm taking a chance :-$

leo.austrian
Captain
Captain
Vehicle Make & Model: Toyota Fortuner 2012/ 2.7 L
Nickname: Leo
Number of drives: 16

Post by leo.austrian » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:06 pm

razik wrote:
Ahmad Pervez wrote:
Cost:
Small clarification on the exit stamp fees bit...I believe this is applicable only while exiting from Buraimi & Mezyad borders & not at Hatta? Unless the rules have changed for uniformity lately :-?
Make sure both your passport & UAE residency are valid for not less than 3 months. Mine is not, i'm taking a chance :-$
Hey Razick,
Cool, just a bit of doubt. South Asian Nationality ? and where can i get info about Visa eligibility.
I have been to Oman twice earlier by road but not sure through which border. is there anywher we can check the eligibility.
Cheers,
Leo

razik

Post by razik » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:15 pm

leo.austrian wrote:
razik wrote:
Ahmad Pervez wrote:
Cost:
Hey Razick,
Cool, just a bit of doubt. South Asian Nationality ? and where can i get info about Visa eligibility.
I have been to Oman twice earlier by road but not sure through which border. is there anywher we can check the eligibility.
Cheers,
Leo
Leo,

Assuming you obtained visa on arrival during your previous visits, don't bother checkin the eligibility then, You'll be fine, hopefully!
Although glance through the link Ajay sb sent earlier for clarity.

Besides, you don't remember which border you went through before :-o were you drugged & smuggled across buddy :D

Ajay

Marshal
General - Co Founder
General - Co Founder
Vehicle Make & Model: Toyota FJ Cruiser
Toyota LC VXR
Nickname: AJ
Number of drives: 999

Post by Ajay » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:32 pm

visas should not be a problem if you have been granted visa at the border earlier. just make sure that your passport and UAE visa is valid for atleast 3 months. the GCC requirement is 6 months on these counts but we all have been getting visa on arrival even when the validity is less, sometime even upto 1 month. However, these things can not be taken for granted.

for first timers to Oman: you need to have "managerial designation" on your visa, and you should have been an official :) resident of UAE for atleast 6 months.

no exit fee applies at Hatta border, unless Dubai has started collecting something during the last 3 weeks.

Prudence demands check with the consulate if in doubt.

regarding Food etc. :

Thursday
BF: you guys will have BF on the move. there's a decent coffee shop (Costa), Pizza Hut and a grocery within the Omani Immigration hall. in case, you find long queue at the visa counter, you can take turns to visit these outlets and fill up.

Lunch: we can have quick bite upon reaching Wadi Shab or you can choose to have it on the move itself

Dinner: we can plan for a BBQ and Bonfire at the campsite

Friday:

BF: we will have it at the Campsite itself

Lunch: we need to plan carry-on lunch

Fuel:

we need to plan a onroad (200kms) and offroad (100+kms graded tracks only) run between fuel stops. Please check the the fuel range of your car assuming that you will be running AC and coolers at full blast, and decide whether you need to carry jerry cans. Choose to carry one if you are not sure

Warm Clothing:

the minimum temperature on top of the mountains at this time of the year should not go below 25 degrees. However, there has been scattered unstable weather and isolated but heavy rains on some parts of the Hajjar mountains. The rains of the last weekend has resulted in some of the wadis to overflow and the minimum temperature on Jebel Shams and Jabel Akhdar to drop to 12 degrees yesterday. Though we are not expected to encounter that range of temperature during our route, it always pays to be prudent and it will be good if we prepare ourselves well, just in case, heavy rain hits us somewhere on the higher elevation.

other important points

- in case you decide to carry some non-Shariah compliant drinks, please take care to stack them deep inside the cargo area
- please do not keep your walkie-talkie on the dashboard or hang it on your neck while at customs post. Even on the highway, please use the radio in case of real necessity only. Tolerance level of Royal Oman Police for these devices is far lower than that of Dubai police
- the tolerance level of speed radars on the route is only 14 kms over the displayed limit. it clicks if you are 15km above the max speed. though a fair %age of radars outside Sohar and Muscat do not :) work all the time, but you never know which location turns out to be bad for you. However, the good part of Oman is that the fines are quite reasonable - starts at rial 10 only :ymparty: .
ajay
Leave only your tyre marks in the wild. Bring all other rubbish back with you.......

firoztv

Post by firoztv » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:05 pm

AJS wrote:
- in case you decide to carry some non-Shariah compliant drinks, please take care to stack them deep inside the cargo area

- please do not keep your walkie-talkie on the dashboard or hang it on your neck while at customs post. Even on the highway, please use the radio in case of real necessity only. Tolerance level of Royal Oman Police[*] for these devices is far lower than Dubai police

- the tolerance level of speed radars on the route is only 14 kms over the displayed limit. it clicks if you are 15km above the max speed. though a fair %age of radars outside Sohar and Muscat do not :) work all the time, but you never know which location turns out to be bad for you.
Very good Info :)