Open to all offroaders!
santhoshksl
Vehicle Make & Model: Jeep Wrangler, 2012, sport
Disclaimer: Agreed and Signed.
Nickname: santhu
Blood Group: B+

Re: Offroad Walkie Talkie FAQ

Post by santhoshksl » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:39 pm

hello offroaders...i too purchased an walkie talkie in dragon mart last friday..its the Baofeng 2 way dual band radio where the frequency can be aligned with the other radio..its a digital input. I tried in the shop with a demo and it worked well.. It was said that a coverage of 15km shall be provided with this radio..truly i havent tested. i purchased this for 100 AED. the sales guy said its 150..then ended up paying 100. i purchased this from dragon mart, Fujjan Free space electronic trading, BA BAA 13.

Dubasel
Private
Private
Vehicle Make & Model: Nissan Xterra
Nickname: Alex
Blood Group: A+

Post by Dubasel » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:21 am

As a public service to other newbies, my “not pro” Motorola Talkabout radios with selectable channel only, worked with the group’s frequencies. Their range is “only” a few kms but it worked perfectly fine for me.

Dubasel
Private
Private

Post by Dubasel » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:03 am

Here is a link to an expanded manual for Baofeng UV-5R. Frequencies can be punched in on the go, or preprogrammed manually. There are a number of other neat functions explained in the manual and website. The radio is ~100AED in Amazon or Dragon Mart.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wp/wp-c ... nual-2.pdf

sehgala
Vehicle Make & Model: Land rover LR4 2013
Nickname: Ajay

Post by sehgala » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:52 am

Dubasel wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:21 am
As a public service to other newbies, my “not pro” Motorola Talkabout radios with selectable channel only, worked with the group’s frequencies. Their range is “only” a few kms but it worked perfectly fine for me.
I have a Motorola Talkabout unit (MG160A) as well. The standard frequencies on it match those posted above. However it does not have function to use Privacy codes. So wanted to check whether or not the group uses privacy codes in addition to the frequencies. If not than I am good to go otherwise will need to procure a better unit.

Hamza Ahmad
Webmaster & Co-Founder
Webmaster & Co-Founder
Vehicle Make & Model: Nissan Armada 2006
Number of drives: 800
Blood Group: AB+

Post by Hamza Ahmad » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:34 am

sehgala wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:52 am
Dubasel wrote:
I have a Motorola Talkabout unit (MG160A) as well. The standard frequencies on it match those posted above. However it does not have function to use Privacy codes. So wanted to check whether or not the group uses privacy codes in addition to the frequencies. If not than I am good to go otherwise will need to procure a better unit.
If the unit matches the frequencies of the group, then you’re good to go.

Dubasel
Private
Private

Post by Dubasel » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:58 am

sehgala wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:52 am
Dubasel wrote:
Set Provacy Code to 0.

handle9
Vehicle Make & Model: Mitsubishi Pajero
Blood Group: O+

Post by handle9 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:51 am

Hi all.
I just bought a Motorola MT-777
I've programed all the frequencies but for channels 5, 8 and 12 instead of showing "5"as the small digit to the right of the programmable frequency it shows "25"

EG for channel 1 it shows 462.562 with a small "5"to the right
for channel 5 is shows 462.662 with a small "25"to the right

Is this something to worry about?

KuciKuc
Vehicle Make & Model: Mitsubishi Pajero 3.0 2008
Nickname: Marko
Blood Group: AB+

Post by KuciKuc » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:59 pm

Hi there community,
I've just stumbled across an interesting app called zello which operates over wifi or 4g/3g/ even 2g as it doesn't consume a lot of data, and works as a walkie talkie. It's free that's why I see it as an interesting thing for the forum as it doesn't require buying an actual walkie talkie. If all members on the day of the trip are on this app, no need for conventional WT...
Just a suggestion...

Pav

Marshal
Colonel
Colonel
Medals: 1
Vehicle Make & Model: Toyota Fortuner
Disclaimer: Agreed and signed
Nickname: Pav
Number of drives: 50
Blood Group: o

Post by Pav » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:38 pm

For those that might like to avoid a trip to DragonMart, there is a site I found where the chap will deliver and he was very helpful. I use the Crony 888 (nearly two years now) and it continues to do a good job. Somehow I managed to tune it in just before my first drive with DO but can't for the life of me remember how I did it :-)

Here's the site:
https://edragonmall.com/

They have a huge range and regular sales (I am in no affiliated but perhaps should get commission for this plug haha)