Vehicle Make & Model: TOYOTA LC71
Disclaimer: Agreed and Signed.
Nickname: harib

Re: Wrangler for desert!

Post by harib » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:26 pm

trq wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:48 pm
Hi.
I am a newbie and drive Prado. Have done a few drives with DO. I don’t want to kill my Prado or modify it.
Hence, wanna buy a used Wrangler for the purpose.

Budget: Minimum.

Request experts’ recco.

HELLO MOHAMMAD

ITS GOOD YOU ARE GOING FOR ANOTHER 4X4 AND KEEPING YOUR NEW PRADO SAFE &CLEAN, BREAKDOWNS,REPAIRS &UPGRADES THESE ARE PART OF THE GAME
JUST KEEP OFFROADING WITH TEAM (NEVER GO ALONE) YOU WILL BE FINE EVEN WHICH 4X4 YOU BUY BRO :D
Harib Alobiadly
050-353 7676

trq
Vehicle Make & Model: PRADOLC 4.0 2016
Nickname: torque

Post by trq » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:33 pm

Sebastien wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:09 am
trq wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:39 pm

Need some time to convince myself in the closed room, that my dream for Jeep is over :(
I might again need your expertise while checking an old FJ (maybe, not sure though).
If you dream of a Jeep ... go for it! it's never a good idea to give up on your dreams...

Thanks S. will surely think 😀
Tariq / White Prado

trq
Vehicle Make & Model: PRADOLC 4.0 2016
Nickname: torque

Post by trq » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:34 pm

Sahil Trehan wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:15 am
Sebastien wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:09 am
trq wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:39 pm

Need some time to convince myself in the closed room, that my dream for Jeep is over :(
I might again need your expertise while checking an old FJ (maybe, not sure though).
If you dream of a Jeep ... go for it! it's never a good idea to give up on your dreams...
EXPERIENCE SPEAKS AGAIN!!

Sounds like your next 4x4 is definately a Jeep, a dream you'd like for to come true! :))

Sahil you seem quite experienced 😀
Tariq / White Prado

Dara

Contributor
Captain
Captain
Medals: 1
Vehicle Make & Model: FJ Cruiser
Darragh Butler
Nickname: Dara
Number of drives: 33

Post by Dara » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:17 am

From personal experience, don't buy a 3.8 or previous, it is way under powered and they like to overheat. Without gear ratio changes the long steep climbs will be hard work/no fun... I never had any mechanical issues during 1 year of desert action. The 3.6 is a very different story, very capable and similar performance and torque as an FJ/your Prado.
Artist formally known as "Hum D"

GrandDubai
Captain
Captain
Vehicle Make & Model: 2009 Wrangler JK Unlimited
Nickname: GrandDubai
Number of drives: 8

Post by GrandDubai » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:13 pm

I drive a 2009 3.8 Wrangler Unlimited automatic and it gets me most places the FJs can go.
Ok, I retuned the engine and regeared the diffs to 4.88, which gives it a bit more pep, but the steel bumpers, winch and big tyres soak some of that up.
One day I'll upgrade to a 3.6 but for now I get all the fun I need for not much money.
And my ac works just fine! Look after the scheduled maintenance and you won't go wrong.
Eat.Sleep.Jeep.

Gallo
Captain
Captain
Vehicle Make & Model: FJ Cruiser 2016
Nickname: Gallo
Number of drives: 50

Post by Gallo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:42 am

My 2 cents are:

I share all opinions on pre-pentastar jeeps. Very underpowered for desert and lot of maintanance.

If you want to stay very cheap, go off-roading with the Prado!
It's one of the best cars out there. It's basically an FJ Cruiser (same Mechanics with another body).
If you are a careful driver and not willing to go close to rolling over (which is fun but risky...) you will not make any damage to the car.
Spare the money for putting offroad tyres, skid plate and maybe raising up just a little bit to clear better the bumpers.

If you wan to be cheap and want a car to smash without too much care, my advise is to go for Pathfinder. At the moment is the cheapest good/reliable car out there with the power you need here.

If you want to make the leap and go for a 2012+ Jeep (Pentastar engine), consider still extra budget for maintanance (+ some mods to make it look less goofy).
In which case, for the same price I'd go for an xterra (more reliable, ready to go).
"Dont teach me what to think. Teach me how to think"