Things I Didn’t Know About: 2008 Pajero

cansur28

Re: Things I Didn’t Know About: 2008 Pajero

Post by cansur28 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:56 am

Sahmed wrote:
Roshan wrote:The commercial ones are underpowerd ...and one of the worst salesmen for UAE !! They're so dumb.
If you're dune bashing - get the 3.8L - it has more power and torque than the FJ :p
The salesmen are idiots... the product sells itself... they know little or nothing about anything...

yeh more powerful than fj on the books wht happens to it when it has to perform ????? same thing with xterra on the books 290 hp ??

LIFE WITHOUT RISK IS LIKE LIVING IN A BUBBLE
+971505286069

Wheels

Post by Wheels » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:53 am

(Note: apologies for bumping up an old thread.)

Finally some notes about the off-roading capability of the Pajero. Thanks, Sahmed.

Definitely gives a good insight on what to do and what not.

Shopping for a family vehicle + off roader and zeroed in on the 3.8 Pajero. The other candidate was the XTerra.

Hope to join you guys on a trip shortly.

khshareef

Post by khshareef » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi Sahmed,

Thanks for your wonderful review of the pajero. I have recently bought a 2005 Pajero 3L engine and the conditions are good except for bumpers.

I have few clarifications with you hoping that you will help me out.

1. Is it possible to do dune bashing and desert driving with Pajero 3L Automatic Engine.
2. Do i need to change the bumpers or can be fixed. I understand in your review, you were stating about fixing the front and rear bumpers. what does it mean? is it something like doing shed lubrication..

Ganesh
Colonel
Colonel
Vehicle Make & Model: Pajero 3.8L 2009
Disclaimer: Agreed and Signed.
Nickname: Dada
Number of drives: 69

Post by Ganesh » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:12 pm

These informtion has really helped me, as I do own a Pajero 2009 model....Thanks a ton for sharing the points :thanks:

Ganesh
+971507889064

I have never been DRUNK...but always been overserved

Sahmed

Post by Sahmed » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:52 pm

khshareef wrote: 1. Is it possible to do dune bashing and desert driving with Pajero 3L Automatic Engine.
Yes. Dune bashing has very little do with cars, more to do with drivers. The 3L 5door may feel underpowered if you are trying to go up a steep incline, but will do the job with enough momentum.
khshareef wrote: 2. Do i need to change the bumpers or can be fixed. I understand in your review, you were stating about fixing the front and rear bumpers. what does it mean? is it something like doing shed lubrication..
Gen4 (current shape) has a plastic mud guards attached to the front bumper. They will bend and scrape the tires if you hit a steep dune. The rear bumper silver insert scoops sand and will break off after a couple of trips.

You can get the front mud guards cut off (increases wind noise at speeds above 120kph) and steel gaurds riveted on. This will be invisible.
For the rear, you need a metal bar/plate made and screwed on (can be removed anytime).

Check with Tarfana garage 06 5436051 / 050 7694183. Approx cost 600aed.

Her name is Shabah!
2008 Pajero - SOHC 24V V6 3.8 LWB, INVEC II 5spd AT w/sports mode, [email protected], 253lb/[email protected]

'Research shows that 90% of all men, between the ages of 13-65, are regular pajeros.
The other 10% are liars.'

Sahmed

Post by Sahmed » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:55 pm

cansur28 wrote:yeh more powerful than fj on the books wht happens to it when it has to perform ????? same thing with xterra on the books 290 hp ??
Well... there are people who drive corollas over dunes... so I don't think it's about the car.. it's about the driver.

If you put the same driver in a Pajero, an Xterra and an FJ, I think he will do better in an FJ, mostly 'cos the FJ compromises in other places such as size and weight that help it.

Her name is Shabah!
2008 Pajero - SOHC 24V V6 3.8 LWB, INVEC II 5spd AT w/sports mode, [email protected], 253lb/[email protected]

'Research shows that 90% of all men, between the ages of 13-65, are regular pajeros.

Ahmad Pervez

Marshal
General - Club Founder
General - Club Founder
Medals: 1
Vehicle Make & Model: Toyota FJ Cruiser 2008
Nickname: Ahmad
Number of drives: 735
Blood Group: AB+

Post by Ahmad Pervez » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:58 am

Sahmed wrote:
cansur28 wrote:yeh more powerful than fj on the books wht happens to it when it has to perform ????? same thing with xterra on the books 290 hp ??
Well... there are people who drive corollas over dunes... so I don't think it's about the car.. it's about the driver.

If you put the same driver in a Pajero, an Xterra and an FJ, I think he will do better in an FJ, mostly 'cos the FJ compromises in other places such as size and weight that help it.
Hi Shaan good to see you back here...after a long time...where have you CWR guys been...would be even better to see you on the morning drives as we have re-started the morning drives, too.

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games" - Ernest Hemingway

Ahmad Pervez
050 6534953

Sahmed

Post by Sahmed » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:26 pm

Will see you soon inshaAllah.

Her name is Shabah!

khshareef

Post by khshareef » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:23 pm

Hi Sahmed,

Thanks for your info. I went today to a garage in Al Qusais recommended by Saleem Khan to put steel plate inside for the rear bumper but the garage guy yemeni said he is too busy and cannot do it. He asked me to check with other garages in that area. When i checked with other garages, they are not able to understand the requirement and requested me for photograps.. Have you done this in your pajero car.

If so could you pls be kind enough to send some or put some pictures for me to understand how it looks.

Thanks in advance.

rgds,
Humayun Shareef
056 686 2453.

Khalil_mtl
Brigadier
Brigadier
Vehicle Make & Model: FJ
Nickname: IceMan
Number of drives: 150

Post by Khalil_mtl » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:44 pm

Sahmed wrote:If it's value for money you're looking for... and you're not into the South Koreans - then Mitsu is the only one for you.

Toyota is asking for waaaaay toooo much money for what they offer. Unfortunately, consumers think with their heart, not their head - that's what branding is all about.

One thing I'd like to point out - on the dunes, driving a Pajero is nothing like driving an FJ or Wrangler - for this one, you actually need to develop some skill, as opposed to the 'point & shoot' for the others.

The only downside on the Pajero 3.8L are the R18 rims - not enough sidewall. This isn't a problem for traction - its a 265 wide tyre - but if you dig in, you won't have the sidewall to help you climb out. Plus there's that 'ice cream scoop' rear bumper. I suggest you cable tie that to the bumper itself from the inside.
:) I like the point and shoot comparison :) brilliant
Man, it's all about having fun. Pajero power to weight ratio is one of the lowest, plus bumpers are not really freindly for desert driving... But if some see that as a positive challenge for driving skills, then this is fine... But comparing it with the Toyota, Nissan, or even Jeep, ... I just thing that it is out of the league :) sorry bro... I really like your article.. But I needed to defend my wrangler just for fun :) you know... It's a jeep thing... ;) but wait... Does it really need to be defended ... Noooo.. But still...

On the other hand, I ve seen some pajero drivers on the toughest terrains... It was clearly skills + tires... So totally agree with you mate... But a very good driver, could handle a pajero extreemly well anywhere. However, give this driver a more powerful and lighter car, and he will start having fun :)

You are what you repeatedly do...

---------------------------------